Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Let me tell you about the president of my fan club...

Last night, my wife and I were laying bed, deliriously tired from night 2 of VBS at church.  It was a little after 1 AM and we were just talking about things in our life, funny things that happened that day, the kids, etc...

It then hit me.  I am one lucky SOB.  I get frustrated with Patty.  I get upset that I am constantly not meeting expectations.  I know if she had the energy and time, she would spend the time that I want with her to myself, but who are we kidding.... 1 AM is the only time we got together.  I love the time we have together - talking, laughing, sharing our thoughts.  I know I don't meet her "perfect" image of a husband, but as she has told me many times before, I have "potential".

I love my wife.  I love that she only "acts" embarrassed when I make an ass of myself in front of people and large groups.  I love that if someone (even a large woman that could break her in half) says something ugly about me or to me, she will go to the mat, ready to fight - even in the middle of IKEA.  I think I don't give my wife credit for all that she does.  I mean the woman spends the majority of her day speaking to 5 little girls.  There are days that she will call and all I hear in the background is crying and screaming.  She left me a message the other day that was littered with screaming.  The message said, "please come home".  I know it is rough for her.  

Anyway, my reason for this post is to let you know how much I truly love my wife and what she is for me and my girls.  We were reading marriage quotes last night and ran across a quote that sums up my relationship with Patty.

As much as I would miss my wife if she were to die, I would miss what we are together even more. Our "we-ness" our "us-ness." - Carl Whitaker, family therapy pioneer

That is the greatness of our relationship, that we are in it together.  We have gone through some really great times and some of the lowest times I think we will ever hit and the one thing that remains constant is that we are together - a "we-ness".  A couple of weeks ago, our lead pastor encouraged us to really love people, not just those that return the favor.  He spoke of Divine Love and loving someone who does not or cannot reciprocate.  As Jeff said, there are times that families must divine love each other, as one is not able or willing to go the distance.  For the past two weeks, my wife and I have practiced this.  We tell each other that we divine love each other, letting the other one know that no matter what this world throws at us, we love each other.  No matter how many times I argue with her (and I don't know why I do, she is 98% right every time), no matter how stressed she is, no matter how late I work, no matter how frustrated I make her - DIVINE LOVE.  I have seen an improvement in my relationship with her. I see that although she gets frustrated with me for leaving piles of clothes on her clean floor, that she will give me a kiss when I need it. She has even been spotted, cleaning dried cereal out of bowls (which drives me ape-ishly insane).  It is magical the effect it has had on how I view her.  

I love my wife.  And, to let you know - this isn't for her to read.  You see, my wife has no interest in reading my blog.  She will go about her crazy life not knowing this is here, so all you haters can know that I am not doing this to get out of the doghouse.  I wanted to blog this to let you know that my wife is the President of my fan club and I couldn't be happier about it.  I am through taking her for granted and wanted to publicly let anyone that reads this to know that she is my number one blessing from God....

I promise the next ones will be about my greatest accomplishments - those 5 angels.

5 comments:

Jennifer and Michael said...

Who knew you are a blogger? Now you have 8 people who will read about your crazy life, if for no other reason but to feel better about ours. We miss you guys alot and wish that we had had more time to hang with the Browns. I guess this is better than nothing. Just make sure you put pictures of the girls on every now and then so we can watch them grow. Love you guys!!! The Smiths

Kim and JD said...

So glad to know I have another blogger pal to read up on. That was very sweet what you said about Patty. Well, gotta rest up for VBS tonight, man do I feel old !!!!

Tricky said...

I like how you took the email I sent you talking about my wife and replaced my wife's name with Patty's name and posted it on your blog. Seems a bit cheap, but I'm sure Patty appreciates the sentiment anyway.

Alisa said...

I love it! I don't blog myself - can't think of anything interesting to say - but I love reading all my friend's blogs. Thanks for sharing - you guys are an awesome family and I am in awe of you & Patty and how you maintain your sanity!!

Stephanie said...

Jim, that's really sweet and I only hope that my husband feels the same way about me! We have 3, our oldest just turned 4, so I know how impossible it is to find time just for your spouse. So..I know you're busy but I think it's time for another post!